1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Stir the flour with the thyme and ¼ teaspoon of the salt in a shallow dish. Dry the beef with paper towels, then roll it around in the flour mixture, knocking off the excess. It should be just barely coated.
3. Heat a PADERNO 5-Ply Copper Core Stainless Steel Cookware Set, Oven Safe 5.4L dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil. Add the beef and cook 2 minutes per side or until each side is deeply golden, reducing the heat as needed so the pan doesn’t burn. Transfer the beef to a plate. (If the oil has burned a little, just wipe out the pan with paper towels.)
4. Pour the red wine and beef broth into the pot and bring to a boil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Once this mixture is simmering, return the beef, along with any accumulated juices, to the pot, shifting the veggies so the beef sits on the bottom of the pot. The liquid should go about halfway up the roast. Cover the pot and put it in the oven for 3 hours.
5. Give it a stir, turn over the meat and cook, partially covered, another 45 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
6. Take the beef out of the sauce and slice it into 1-inch slices. Spoon some sauce and vegetables over the meat. Garnish with parsley. Serve the rest of the sauce alongside.
Serving suggestion: Serve pot roast and sauce overtop mashed potatoes or polenta.